How to SORN your vehicle. Our guide on how and when to make a statutory off-road notice for your car when it's not in use.

How to SORN and unSORN a Car

January 10, 2023

Car Storage

How to register for a Statutory Off-Road Notice (SORN) for your Car

If you have a classic car, supercar, project car or any vehicle that you either don’t want to drive or doesn't drive anymore,  here’s a quick guide on how to SORN your vehicle and avoid paying extra tax or insurance.

What does SORN mean?

SORN means Statutory Off-Road Notification.You have to apply to the DVLA to notify them that you are putting the vehicle off the road.If you definitely aren’t going to drive the car, then making a SORN will save you paying for tax and and possibly even insurance whilst the vehicle is in storage, garaged, on a driveway or located at a private property.

Why SORN my car?

There are many common reasons for declaring a vehicle SORN.Typically, if a car is not to be used on the road for a prolonged period of time then make a SORN makes good sense.However, should you need to drive, park or for whatever reason use your vehicle on a public road then you will need to unsorn the vehicle and tax it again.As a car storage business we'll help customers, those who do not intend to use their vehicle on the road for a significant period, make a decision as to whether its best to SORN their cars or not.

How do I check if my car is SORNed?

Is my car sorned? Good question.The easiest way to check if a car is SORN is by visiting the website and following their simple instructions.Use this link to check if your vehicle is taxed

How to make a SORN for my vehicle?

The easiest way to register your car as off road (sorn) is again by visiting the website and following their simple instructions..Use this link to make a SORNOf course you could also phone the DVLA directly on 0300 123 4321

How much does it cost to SORN my car?

There is no charge for registering your vehicle off-road unless you have misplaced the vehcile log book or V5C.In that instance there may well be a small charge (£25) to get a replacement. To find out how to get a replacement V5C, follow this link - Get a Vehicle Log Book (V5C) on the website

How long does a Statutory Off-Road Notice last?

A SORN will last until you plan to do one of the following:

  • Sell the car or change the registered keeper
  • Export or scrap the vehicle
  • Drive the var on the road (unSORN)

Follow this link for a brief article on how to un-SORN my car or, in other words how to tax your vehicle.

9 myths around SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) from the DVLA

Below is a Press Release from the website highlighting a number of myths around SORN - questions that may have crossed your mind concerning Statutory Off-Road Notice registration and taxing your vehicle.These are directly from the website - check this link for the original post 9 myths around SORN

Myth 1: You can keep your vehicle on the road – just don’t drive it

The clue is in the name. When you SORN your vehicle, it can’t be kept on a public road – so it must be kept in a garage, on a driveway or on private land.

Myth 2: SORN is transferrable to the next vehicle keeper

In the same way vehicle tax isn’t transferred to the new keeper, when you buy a vehicle, SORN is also not transferred. So, if you’re buying a vehicle and want to keep it off the road, remember to make a SORN with DVLA.

Myth 3: You need to make a SORN annually

You only need to tell DVLA once when you SORN your vehicle, and you don’t need to renew this every year. The SORN lasts until the vehicle is re-taxed, sold, permanently exported or scrapped.

Myth 4: You can’t drive vehicle to have an MOT if it’s SORN

You can drive to a pre-arranged MOT appointment under SORN.

Myth 5: There’s a lot of admin and cost to make a SORN

It’s free to make a SORN – and takes just a few minutes online. You just need your vehicle’s registration certificate (V5C) to hand. You will receive instant confirmation from DVLA. If you don’t have your V5C and need to order a replacement, it’s quick and easy to do this using DVLA’s new online service - you should receive your new certificate within 5 working days if you apply online.

Myth 6: I have an electric vehicle so I don’t need to pay for my vehicle tax, so there’s no need for me to SORN it

Even if you don’t need to pay anything to tax your vehicle, for example because you’re exempt because you’re disabled or you drive an electric vehicle, you still need to tax it each year. If you take a vehicle off the road and don’t intend to tax it, you’ll still need to make a SORN – even if there is no tax to pay. You’ll also need to tax your vehicle before you return it to the road.

Myth 7: If you SORN your vehicle you can’t get a refund on your tax

The registered keeper will automatically get a refund for any full months of remaining tax when you make a SORN. It is important that you keep your address up to date with DVLA to receive your refund – the quickest and simplest way to do this is by using our online service on GOV.UK.

Myth 8: You can’t tell the DVLA in advance if you want to make a SORN later

If you know that you’ll soon want to keep your vehicle off the road, you can tell DVLA up to 2 months in advance. If you want the SORN to start on the first day of the next month, you just need to go online and use the 16 digit number on your V11 reminder letter.

Myth 9: It is really difficult to ‘unSORN’

There is no such thing as ‘unSORNing’. When you want to start using your vehicle again simply tax it online in minutes and you’re good to go.

Follow this link for a brief article on the quickest way to un-SRN your car or, in other words how to tax your vehicle in super-quick time!